We are introducing several new encoders with this release and replacing others.
- Intel QuickSync Video
is a hardware based H.264 encoder that is available on Intel CPUs. Currently, QSV is only supported on Windows but we hope to bring this to Linux users in the future. Thanks to the good people at Intel for making this possible!
is now available through x265 1.4. While this encoder is still fairly new, we have seen some promising results come out of it. It’s still under heavy active development and is only going to improve over time!
using the libvpx encoder. We have now deprecated Theora (VP3) in favour of VP8 which is a more modern encoder offering better quality encodes at lower file sizes.
Has now officially been removed due to GPL compatibility issues, and replaced with the libav AAC encoder as the new default for Windows and Linux. In addition, we have added the FDK AAC encoder for Windows and Linux as a optional compile-time option. The Mac release will continue to use CoreAudio as the default.
- As usual, we’ve updated a number of the core libraries including x264 and libav
Handbrake is available for OS X, Ubuntu and Windows.
As a content creator, I certainly am thankful to the people who have been working on Handbrake.
From Chromium Project:
Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Open Chrome.
2. Attempt to interact with the browser in any way.
What is the expected behavior?
Browser should work.
What went wrong?
The browser crashes completely on every start attempt.
After further investigation, it seems the crash happens when built-in Trackpad or Magic Trackpad is used to interact with Google Chrome on any Macs running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 build 14C68k.
-[NSTouch _initWithPreviousTouch:newPhase:position:isResting:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
isResting Available in OS X v10.6 through OS X v10.9
ie deprecated in 10.10 Yosemite and looks like removed in 10.10.2
We’ll see if this issue would be resolved in the next build of OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 seed.
Apple has changed the wording for free games in its App Store, and the app purchase buttons that once read “Free” for apps with no cost now read “Get” instead. The change has been implemented on both the iOS App Store and the desktop App Store.
Because we all know that “Getdom isn’t Get“
Remember that movie, “Get Willy“?
Apple seeds OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 beta Build 14C68k to Developers and AppleSeed members.
There have been reports that Google Chrome is crashing after applying this beta update.
WordPress 4.0.1 is out now.
- Three cross-site scripting issues that a contributor or author could use to compromise a site. Discovered by Jon Cave, Robert Chapin, and John Blackbourn of the WordPress security team.
- A cross-site request forgery that could be used to trick a user into changing their password.
- An issue that could lead to a denial of service when passwords are checked. Reported by Javier Nieto Arevalo and Andres Rojas Guerrero.
- Additional protections for server-side request forgery attacks when WordPress makes HTTP requests. Reported by Ben Bidner (vortfu).
- An extremely unlikely hash collision could allow a user’s account to be compromised, that also required that they haven’t logged in since 2008 (I wish I were kidding). Reported by David Anderson.
- WordPress now invalidates the links in a password reset email if the user remembers their password, logs in, and changes their email address. Reported separately by Momen Bassel, Tanoy Bose, and Bojan Slavković of ManageWP.
I would say that it is mandatory to update your WordPress installation, because of these important security fixes.
Apple releases OS X Update Seed 10.10.1 build 14B23.
There are still issues with Exchange accounts in Mail, network connectivity, and graphics in this build.
A SHOW OUT OF IDEAS TEAMS UP WITH A SHOW OUT OF EPISODES
“Simpsorama” turned out to be the first new The Simpsons episode the I watched for at least the last 12 years. I want new Futurama episodes; damn you Fox, Comedy Central and all the humans! Umm, please ignore that last part.
This crossover within Matt Groening’s universe is a lot more The Simpsons than Futurama. It is nice to see the Planet Express gang, but it left me wanting more after blurting “That’s all they can come up with?”
Now, can we get new Futurama episodes that would definitely be written better than “Simpsorama”?